Skip to main content

Cardiff Comic Con - David Warner



David Warner, best known for his roles in Titanic, The Omen, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Planet of the Apes and TRON, shared his experiences, acting history and his opinions on competing for acting roles with the audience at Comic Con in Cardiff earlier in 2014.




Q:‘Who do you admire most out of your fellow actors?’


“What I admire about my fellow – I’m in a very interesting group, of my age group, of competition, (which is not the question you asked) but my competition at the moment when we compete for parts – and that’s why I don’t do so many anymore – are, my age group: Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Michael Gambon, John Hurt… well, you know what I mean?

As we get older there aren’t so many parts for people like us. But these are all people that I know and I admire. I have no problem with admiring my contemparys even though they might get the jobs that I might want, cause I’ve been round long enough to know that that’s how business works. They’re the top of the list, they all have higher profiles, and even if I was in fact more right for the part it doesn’t work that I would get it.

What I admire about the people I see or I’m merely acquainted with, and not because of their acting talent, but actors who do things other than act. Quite a few that I know write; they paint, compose – Anthony Hopkins composes music, Michael Gambon can fly a plane. Simon Callow who does – he’s the one person who I’d actually rather like to be because he can do so much. And this has got nothing now to do with the acting, or whether I, or what kind of actor he is, I mean, that’s what I look for now (in my envy and my jealousy and all those kind of things – I mean we all have). Thinking, ‘Boy! They can do all that!’, you know, even drive a car! People who can drive!

So there’s not one particular name I could say, that was the person I could really admire. Everybody I’ve worked with, everybody I know has something that I wish I had. And I don’t.”


Q: Can you tell us anything interesting about when you were in Time 
Bandits?

"Yes, there are lots of interesting things about Time Bandits. Those of you who saw it, could imagine I wore a very uncomfortable costume, if you remember. This is going to be brief, and not rude.

If you remember I had long nails. Okay? Can you imagine going to the bathroom? So, I had to stop shooting every time, take off the fingernails – both sets – stop shooting, go, and then I had to come back, embarrassed, put them on again…

I didn't win any acting awards, and that’s cool, I have no problem with that, my ego’s too intact. But, I would have loved to have won an award for Time Bandits, so that I could have thanked all the little people."

Q: Did you ever want to play the Doctor?

“At Big Finish I’ve played Doctor Who twice. And, in fact, one of them that I did, the person who was playing one of the tiny Scottish supporting roles was David Tennant – before he became the Doctor. So I was the Doctor before David Tennant. And Mark Gatiss was the Master. It was great to be eventually asked to play the Doctor! There were rumours going round a few years ago that I turned down Doctor Who (it’s been on the internet or something). Years ago, I don’t know which transition it was, my agent called and said, ‘Would I be interested in going to a meeting about the possibility of playing Doctor Who?’ But I wasn’t free, so no; I never turned down Doctor Who."

David Warner - On his Dream Job:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DRAMA REVIEW: STRANGER THINGS (S1)

If you haven't heard of ' Stranger Things' by now you must have been in the Upside Down with no wifi signal to tune into Netflix. One year ago the world was plunged into an epic 80's sci-fi thriller world where Dungeons and Dragons, VHS cassettes and BMX bikes were all the rage, and now, with the eruption of Season 2 hitting our tv and mobile screens, it seems fitting to look back on where this journey began... Since the late 1890's the imaginations of people all around the globe have been fascinated by the possibility of life on other planets and visitors from outer space. Thanks to the great early science-fiction authors such as H.G. Wells and John Wyndham, the books ' War of the Worlds ' and ' The Crysalids ' taught us that the scientifically impossible could be found perhaps not only amongst the stars, but amongst ourselves. From then on humanity looked upwards, wondering, researching, hypothesising about things that should be left untouched.

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES: REVIEW

It's been nearly 50 years since the Planet of the Apes franchise first started, and although making sequels and prequels appears to be the norm nowadays, the prequel trilogy starring Andy Serkis in the role of Caesar may prove to be one of the most popular and successful reboots to date. Despite finally coming to the end of a brilliant new trilogy that tells the story of how the Planet of the Apes came to be, the third installment did in no way disappoint. War for the Planet of the Apes delivers an emotionally driven story that is accompanied by stunning cinematography, incredibly technical visual effects and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack composed by the amazing Michael Giacchino. Directed and co-written by Matt Reeves, the film delivers what everyone has been waiting for: the final battle between Apes and Humans. Having survived a disease that wiped out the majority of humankind in Rise of the Planet of the Apes , the remaining survivors are faced with a choice: to sp

Writer's Block - Part 1

How it all started... Last year my sister wrote a 1000 word short story for the BBC Young Writer's competition. Meanwhile in university the current assignment was to create a short narrative film. At the time I was thinking of creating a half stop-motion animated short, and when I read my sister's story I found great potential. We then collaborated and created a script based on her original piece. In the interview below she talks about her inspirations and how she came up with the idea: Q1: How did you come up with the idea for Writer's Block? A1: Coming up with Writer’s Block was a funny process really. I was trying to come up with a story for a writing contest and nothing I came up with was good enough. I said to my mom I had writer’s block and being the sarcastic lady that she is she said to me "I've never been there, what's it like?" And I thought: ‘What if the Writer’s Block was a place!’ Q2: Were there any other novels, artworks